- The cargo information pages (TIS), take account of the Risk factor Odor with regard to its active and passive behavior.
- Odor elimination (deodorization) of containers and warehouses is carried out with high pressure cleaners.
- Due to their elevated content of volatile essential oils in the peel, citrus fruits are highly odor-contaminating and must thus not be loaded together with fruit, vegetables, meat, butter, eggs and other foodstuffs, as these absorb the citrus odor, which has an effect on flavor.
- Dunnage tainted with a citrus odor must not be reused. The odor of fruit, e.g. of pineapple or bananas, may intensify as ripening proceeds and this odor must be removed by additional fresh air.
- Pistachio nuts usually release a slight, pleasant odor; however, if they are transported or stored without ventilation for an extended period (using a standard container), they suffer spoilage and release a strong odor.
- Shelled shell fruit, e.g. shelled almonds (almond kernels) are particularly highly odor-sensitive, absorbing any foreign odor and becoming worthless.
- Goods treated with insecticides, which usually release a slight, pleasant odor, such as peanuts, may absorb an off-odor due to the insecticides.
- Some goods, such as grapes, have a slight, pungent odor due to the sulfurous fungicidal chemicals present in the packaging.
- Semiluxury items, such as green coffee beans, raw cocoa, tea, leaf tobacco, absorb foreign odors extremely readily; they must therefore not be loaded in a single container together with each other nor with spices, cosmetics, copra, leather goods, essential oils and other goods. Tea experts are able to tell whether tea has been in a container together with such goods.
- When eliminating odors from containers, it is particularly important to take account of the order in which cargoes have been carried, e.g. green coffee beans after a cargo of pepper. Deodorization is a fundamental requirement for the following load. An assessment of active and passive odor behavior on the basis of the above-stated odor levels is of assistance here.